Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I Don't Want To Be Like the Jones Or Smiths Or Any Other Proverbial Family

I read an interesting blog post this morning that spoke volumes to me.  I am a Facebook devotee just like many of you, I love to see what is happening in the world of my friends and family.  Not because I need to see what outfit I am striving for next, or what cool new thing my kids "must have." But, because in the busy lives that we all lead, I simply just don't have time to call up everyone everyday and chat.  I love Facebook for this very reason.  People share snippets of their comings and goings and, to me, it is just a tool of the times we live in to communicate.  It is a tool for information sharing.  Having kids in school, it is great to see reminders posted by other school mommies.  And yes, I have been reminded of something I've overlooked at 11PM the night before something was going on at school the next day.  (Nothing like panic at almost midnight!)

Having raved about how awesome I think Facebook is, I am not naïve to realize there are certainly drawbacks.  I have come to the conclusion that you must be an emotionally strong person to use Facebook's platform.  If not, it could literally drive you insane.  And I have seen it happen!  It's human nature to want to share all of the AAAMMMMAAAZIING (yes, that is sarcasm) things happening in your life.  I am guilty!  When one of my children does something that makes my heart beam, I want to share it with the world. After all, that's what proud mommies do, right?  If they excel at something, or achieve something they have really been working hard on, I get very proud of their efforts. 

Now, if you start and end your day going through your feeds to only see all of the stellar accomplishments of your friends, their children, and families, one can tend to start to loose self worth.  Especially if you have had one of "those" mommy days.  A day where nothing goes right and you think you would have been better off just staying in bed.  A day where kids are arguing, can't find your keys, humidity hair, and any other host of issues that can make you feel blah.  Then, you open up your FB page, and right there like a blaring siren, you see a post from Mrs. Smith, or Ms. Jones going on and on about her son's achievement in this, or daughter's achievement in that.  Immediately, your self value begins to plummet like a penny off the Empire State Building roof. 

If you are not emotionally ready to see it you think, why did she have to post that picture of herself looking drop dead gorgeous next to her perfect children and perfect husband, on her perfectly manicured lawn, in front of the beautifully decorated door????

What should our reaction be?  Well, if you are a true friend, it should be shared happiness at the great things she is posting! (And we know that no one would ever post anything to make someone else envious, right? HA!) We all have one of those FB friends who gets a thrill from making her life seem seamlessly perfect!  (Deep down, just remember, she has probably cleaned a toilet just like you have!) There should be joy at the good things happening to those you care for.  If you can't filter through the rubbish, fake life posts, and be accepting of the positives, Facebook can drive you insane. 

I have never thought of myself as being someone who was envious or jealous of the great clothes, cars, or things of others.  I put worth on things that are much more important to me deep down.  The love of God that I have in my heart,  the blessings He has given me in my children, husband, family, and friends, the ability to serve Him and other through volunteerism and giving back, and being able to see that the superficial things in life are the least important.  I am happy when great things happen to those I care for.  I don't think less of them.  Nor, do I have a need to be just like them.  Their life is theirs, and mine is mine.  I kind of like it that way!


John 15:12-15 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment